Sunday, October 3, 2010

100 Days of Yoga: Day 2


Day 2: A different yoga

So, now I decided that I wasn't going to return to the other place. I need something a little more spiritual and guiding. I searched in internet for something closer to my workplace this time and I found several places. I decided that this time I'd call the center and speak to someone. If I could feel the warmth through the phone, I'd go and try it. Long shot right? Well guess what...it worked!

I spoke to a woman who really addressed my needs. She knew what kinds of questions to ask me about my current state of health which was something that drew me into the program. They felt like they cared about me. I also got a chance to ask them questions so it was more like I was interviewing them for a position in my well-being. In case you're having the same issues or can't seem to find a place good enough for you, here are some of the questions I asked.

- What kind of yoga is it? I believe I need more stretching and flow than kick your butt type yoga.
- What kind of music is being used? It's very important to me since I'm looking for the spiritual aspect of it as well.
- Is there any chanting before or after the routines? This part of the yoga that I experienced on the retreat really seemed to resonate with me and felt like a cleansing. I'm attracted to that part of yoga as well.
- Do the rooms have air conditioning? Windows? Mirrors? Sounds silly to ask this I thought but the woman on the phone agreed with me that environment was key.
- Finally, class size? How many people attend and are the instructors able to give a few seconds to ensure that each person is doing it the right way? I like to feel taken care of, especially since I'm recovering from 8 weeks of chiropractic treatment for arthritis in the knees and lower back pain.

She answered everything she could and gave me the truth. Although they weren't much on the chanting, the did/do offer a kundalini class at least once a week. The woman told me she was a yoga instructor there at the center and she thought I'd be good for their gentle yoga sessions. I was sold and a few hours later, I found myself standing at their doorstep.

It was just as she said only that night the class was huge. The room was warm and comfortable and there were windows and mirrors. The decoration was minimal but most importantly, the energy of the place was bright and soothing. Just what I needed. The woman who gave the class was very nice and the best part of the yoga, was the end. I loved the ending when she walked around to everyone and put her thumbs on our spine and maybe she had some massage oil too. Whatever she did really topped off the session. Finally, just when I thought it was over, another woman walks in and delivers fruit. Just a few pieces but the instructor announces that it's so our blood sugar level balances back out. We can take it or leave it. I didn't take any this time but I noticed that the people who did had created a little circle of conversation. It was good to seem them chill out around the fruit bowl and talk about their day. It made me miss my brothers and sisters from the forest.

I noticed how I felt this time. Satisfied but still missing a little edge. Maybe it was just me. My body wanted more and I could feel the desire coming up from the soul. Am I addicted to yoga? Hmmm I wonder. I drove home and though I wasn't very tired, I had been sweating. I became fully aware of where the weak parts of my body were, what parts were inflamed and which parts were feeling food. I didn't get that from the other session. I also noticed a good sense of peace within self. I was feeling good. Very good. Better than I had been feeling in a long time... I can't wait for day 3.

The prolonged effect: The next day

I woke up at 5:45am the next day expecting to encounter sore muscles but I didn't. Instead, I felt like I'd just had the best sleep one could imagine. I noticed that I wasn't groggy despite the late night I'd had and since my knees are often the issue, going up and down the stairs usually aches in the morning...that morning, they didn't. I felt like I was on fire in the soul and I was going to attack the day with the best attitude possible. I don't usually meditate in the mornings nor give myself that 10 minutes of peacefulness but when I woke up, I found that some of the chanting from the weekend retreat had found itself back into my brain. It was going on and on so much and so loudly that I had to go straight to YouTube and find the Gayatri mantra and listen to it. I played it 4 times as recommended but at the same time, whenever it would stop, I'd have to start it over again because the house would seem empty without it.

I get to work and only find that my day will be just as tough as always. I don't let it get me down because the only thoughts that were in my head and heart was yoga and the mantra. After work, I have to go to a chiropractic follow up visit. I get there and usually everyone tells me how stressed I look and they ask me about my day. Nobody said anything today. I wondered if they were just as stressed out as I usually am. One woman who works there however, noticed me while I waiting. She commented on how peaceful I looked and she said that today was the first day she'd noticed peace in my expression. She asked me what had I been doing and I said nothing but a little yoga here and there. She responded and told me that it must be working. I suddenly became proud of myself for making this 100 day commitment. I'll get there no matter what. I am happy that I'm getting used to feeling wonderful...

What a comment and only after 2 days. Really a few more if you count the weekend but, wow what a difference. I noticed it and so did others. How empowering is that? I'm glad to be on this journey and I am glad to share it with everyone...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment