Saturday, October 9, 2010

100 Days of Yoga: day 5


I almost feel like celebrating because I have 95 more days left. Making it to the 5 down mark, makes it feel like I'm creating a dent and reaching my goals. I was very happy to think about it when I got up today. I haven't been able to do yoga all this week as I've worked from 730am until about 730pm. Between work and my mom passing two kidney stones, this week has been quite rough.

I've noticed that my moral is way low when it comes to work. I notice how much people just don't want to be where they are. I notice how much the kids seem like it's my responsibility to allow them to goof off in class. Somehow, I believe they think they are entitled to not learning. They'd rather we give them the answers rather than challenging them. With that said, I was craving today. I wasn't sure that I'd be able to make it since my mom is very sick and in a lot of pain. But she woke up this morning feeling great so I was able to go out and get some fresh yoga!

Today I took the All levels Vinayasa Flow class. At least I'd heard this name before so I kind of knew what to expect. It was just what I expected, lots of flow. The instructor wasn't the one that they normally have so I'm not sure of what the relationship that any of the people have.

The energy was fine and she was very nice. She checked on people here and there and went around to see. She also took the time to explain what we were supposed to be doing. I was happy with myself because I was able to do pigeon without complaining so much. I even sat on my knees and only had to stop once to do child's pose. I was thankful for the last class when the instructor showed me how to do cobra correctly. I could feel I was doing it right by the way my spine felt. I could feel the stretching and it felt good.

I believe we stretched everything that was possible to stretch in the body. When I walked out of there, the class seemed like it had gone by quickly, I broke a sweat, and I felt 2 feet taller. My hips I could tell were just a little more aligned and my left side was inflamed but my right side wasn't. I was able to balance with the foot at my shin during tree pose and I could even do side plank with a knee bent. I had made some real progress in just 5 days. My knees felt a little wobbly and my core is still weak but I noticed myself sitting up straight automatically. This is wonderful.

Class was over just as soon as it began so it seemed. I remembered to thank myself and the room and the instructor for having such a wonderful time. This time when I walked out of the center, I noticed something very different. I was aware of how peaceful I was and how much others weren't. I noticed that everyone around me was in a hurry and how people drove in their cars and seemed frustrated that they had to get out and about. I thought to myself, wow - what a wonderful beautiful place this world is and nobody seems to pay any attention. Imagine if only the whole world was as peaceful as I am right now. The light turned red and as I sat in my car, I focused on the outside world. I looked at every car that drove by, I noticed the trees, the people walking, the colors, and the birds. I let the window down and breathed in the air. It really was a beautiful day and I was grateful to be able to see it, hear it, and smell it. My life is changing and frankly, I'm glad.

*Photo from the website: www.yoga.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment