Wednesday, October 20, 2010

100 Days of Yoga: Day 8

Basics for dummies?

Wow - I totally went to a basics class and thought I was going to die. It seemed to be cross between flow and gentle. I was having a hard time with this class, unlike the first basics class I took. I'm guessing that it must be the instructor that either makes or breaks the class for you.

In this class, we were doing tree poses which I kept falling out of here and there but, I was doing a good job I thought. I was in downward facing dog so many times, that I thought my eyeballs would fall out from the blood rush to the forehead. At some point, we even had to do crow - which I wasn't going to try. However, somewhere I got the notion that I needed to try it anyway just to see how well I could do it. I tried it and at first, I couldn't even get steady with it. But the first 3 or 4 tries, I was finally able to get airborne. My feet were off the ground and I was completely steady - for at least .5 seconds. Then I toppled over, head first. Ouch! My knee was hurt when I landed but I was glad that I was the only person who laughed. Despite the pain, I got back up and tried it once more. I couldn't get my feet off the ground again but I was glad that I did make that 1/2 a second. It was very exhilarating to know that I was almost able to do it.
I thought to myself, is this a basics class? But when I think about it, I guess basics just goes over the basic moves which are not always beginner's moves.

After class, I did feel like I had accomplished some great amazing feat. My knee hurt for the rest of the night but I was glad that I had gone. The next day, my long distance relationship boyfriend... don't ask, that's another blog altogether,... we went dancing. I was happy to hear him tell me how good I looked and how peaceful I seemed. Part of it was because we were going out. I hadn't seen him in about 4 months, maybe longer... the other part was because I knew that yoga had something to do with it. It's only been 8 days and more and more people are picking up on things. I think that is just fantastic. I look in the mirror and perhaps it's just me, but I often think that I look more toned and more in shape than I ever have. I'm feeling good and proud to be me! What a great yoga weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment